AL-6XN® alloy (UNS N08367) is a low carbon, high purity, nitrogen-bearing “super-austenitic” stainless alloy. The AL-6XN alloy was designed to be a seawater resistant material and has since been demonstrated to be resistant to a broad range of very corrosive environments. The high strength and corrosion resistance of the AL6XN alloy make it a better choice than the conventional duplex stainless steels and a cost effective alternative to more expensive nickel-base alloys where excellent formability, weldability, strength and corrosion resistance are essential.
The levels of chromium, molybdenum and nitrogen in AL-6XN all serve to provide resistance to acidic oxidizing chloride solutions previously achieved only by the nickel base alloys. High nickel (24%) and molybdenum (6.3%) contents make AL-6XN a solution to chloride ion stress corrosion cracking. Because of its nitrogen content, AL-6XN has greater tensile strength than common austenitic stainless, while retaining high ductility and impact strength. The ASME allowable stresses for AL-6XN are up to 75% higher than for 316L stainless, and more than twice those for the copper-nickel alloys.
- 6.3% molybdenum
- Over 25 years of proven seawater service
- Practical immunity to chloride stress cracking
- 50% stronger than stainless
- ASME coverage up to 800°F
- Easily welded
- Available in ALL product forms
AL-6XN® is a registered trademark of ATI Properties, LLC, a subsidiary of ATI Inc.
- Excellent resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride solutions
- Practical immunity to stress corrosion cracking in NaCl environments
- High strength and toughness
Share This Page